Visit our main forum @ Usersub.com

Popups on my Android phone scaring the hell out of me! ;)

Chat about anything here
dreamlander
Minor Role In Ugly Betty
Minor Role In Ugly Betty

Popups on my Android phone scaring the hell out of me! ;)

Postby dreamlander » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:22 pm

The title says it all really. When I view this site on my smartphone I instantly get popups saying I have viruses, that they are scanning my phone and I can see a graphic to that effect. I close one, or back up and then another opens before I can close it. I panic and shut down Chrome altogether and just give up looking at this site until I'm on my laptops at home where it doesn't happen. I'm used to the image host ads, they are annoying but don't freak me out and I understand why they are there but to get bombarded before I've even clicked on a thread is very off putting. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it normal? Is it dangerous to proceed and can I do anything to avoid it?

Cheers

Dreamlander

seany65
Oscar Winner
Oscar Winner

Re: Popups on my Android phone scaring the hell out of me! ;)

Postby seany65 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:08 pm

Hmmm. There have been quite a few attempts by baddies to fool people into accepting anti-virus scans from companies in the 'web, by giving false "aaargh, you've got a virus" warnings. Even going so far as to show things that look like bits of the users' computer, such as "My documents" and so on. If this free scan is accepted all that happens is the baddies either download spyware onto the user's pc or they scan it for useful files etc.

I could've fallen for one of these scams, but I don't have my OS looking like standard and their attempt showed the OS looking 'standard'.

DO NOT accept any offer of a free scan form anywhere on the interwebnet, especiallyif it comes after one of these "Argh, you've got a virus" warning.

No idea how to stop it on your smart phone though.
<---That's Emma Murphy. And I want to be stuck in her front bottom.

Well, she used to be not on that side before the big change, and now she's, umm, err, not on this side. --->

Joe
Hollywood Star
Hollywood Star

Postby Joe » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:20 am

dreamlander wrote:The title says it all really. When I view this site on my smartphone I instantly get popups saying I have viruses, that they are scanning my phone and I can see a graphic to that effect. I close one, or back up and then another opens before I can close it. I panic and shut down Chrome altogether and just give up looking at this site until I'm on my laptops at home where it doesn't happen. I'm used to the image host ads, they are annoying but don't freak me out and I understand why they are there but to get bombarded before I've even clicked on a thread is very off putting. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it normal? Is it dangerous to proceed and can I do anything to avoid it?

Cheers

Dreamlander

Hi Dreamlander,I have sent your message to popcash who run ads on this site,I have spoken to them about this before and they have said that no such ads should be in their system but sometimes some advertisers sneak them through and to report any that we see.

I use this site with a tablet,but while I get the daily pop up,it is always a safe ad,I use opera mini,not sure if that makes any difference. :thumbsup:

dreamlander
Minor Role In Ugly Betty
Minor Role In Ugly Betty

Postby dreamlander » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:34 pm

Cheers Joe. :thumbsup: Like I said, the ads that make revenue are entirely expected and help the forum. But the ones that you can't close quick enough and are laced with a threat scare the hell out of me. :P On my laptops I'm satisfied that Norton stops almost everything and it's easier to block things with a big screen and a mouse. On your smart phone it's a little more tricky. I have a Sony Xperia Z3 and use Chrome to browse. Although various security measures are available for smartphones I've read that they're mostly redundant because of the way Android works and all they do is slow Android up. I'll stick to browsing here on my laptops for the foreseable future just to be on the safe side. Thanks again for your help. :thumbsup:

Dreamlander

~Q~
Supporting Role In Summer Blockbuster

Postby ~Q~ » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:24 pm

The SCAM is exactly the same as I reported on a few weeks back.....and on some of them, you can see "YOU HAVE A VIRUS" (which you don't!) "RING THIS NUMBER AND GIVE US YOUR PERSONAL DETAILS AND WE'LL SCAM THE FUCK OUT OF YOU"

but if you look on some, the warning given sometimes is for a completely different browser to what you use - if you use Firefox, some scam may churn out a APPLE SAFARI warning page (LOL) what a set of boezoes :lol:

davey1_uk
Minor Role In Ugly Betty
Minor Role In Ugly Betty

Postby davey1_uk » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:25 pm

I am getting these warnings too....it first happened a few weeks ago and so I switched Internet Explorer to 'high' security settings when browsing this site which stopped it popping up (but also stopped me being able to post anything)

I have just upgraded to Windows 10 (which comes with Edge rather than Internet Explorer) and there is no way to change the security settings. Now getting the warning ad flashing up again, advising me to pay them for a security upgrade and is very worrying and hard to close the window (without using Task Manager and if you close with Task Manager, it appears again when re-opening Edge). I have just paid to upgrade my anti-malware from free version to premium version to try and protect the PC but if the site owner can do anything to stop the phishing/malware attack that would be great!

~Q~

Postby ~Q~ » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:57 pm

IE is in Windows 10 also aswell as Edge

Start Button
All Apps (scroll down list)
it's in Windows Accessories :thumbsup:

Right click and "Pin to Start" or "Pin to Taskbar" :cheers:

davey1_uk
Minor Role In Ugly Betty
Minor Role In Ugly Betty

Postby davey1_uk » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:07 pm

Thanks for the tip. Might do that next time, or maybe use Firefox which seems a little safer/better. Be nice if the malware ad's didn't appear though!

Return to “General”